Becoming a Registered BAS Agent
If you want to provide BAS services for a fee or other reward, you must be registered with the Tax Practitioners Board (TPB).
Upon gaining the recommended qualifications and experience, you can apply for registration as long as you:
- Are at least 18 years old.
- Are a ‘fit and proper person’, meaning:
- You have a good reputation in the community.
- You haven’t been convicted of serious offences including tax offences, or other offences involving some sort of fraud or dishonesty.
- You’ve never been in prison.
- You aren’t an undischarged bankrupt.
- Get (and maintain) professional indemnity insurance.
- Minimum level of insurance depends on turnover of the BAS agent services business, but can be between $250,000 and $1 million worth of insurance. Depending on your circumstances, premiums may start at about $40 a month.